Saturday, June 8, 2013

It's A Family Affair

There are those days when I just don't think of my mission... like at all. Nothing comes to mind. I feel like I am an empty vessel of a person aimlessly walking/existing. BUT! Then precious Monday comes around, and I get a reminder from my Father in Heaven as to why I decided to serve a mission. One of the many things that I love about this gospel is our view on service! It is absolutely pivotal in the gospel of Jesus Christ. This quote by President Spencer W. Kimball sums it right up perfectly, "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other." Now, you might be asking yourself, "what in the heck does Monday have to do with this?". Well, Mondays are usually P-Days (Preparation Days) for Mormon Missionaries. On P-days they are allowed to run errands, and email their family and friends, and I have two brothers and both are on their missions!! My older brother is serving in the DC South Mission speaking Spanish, and my younger brother is serving in the Managua Nicaragua South Mission. Everytime I receive their emails I am reminded of how amazing serving a mission is! It changes lives, and it changes you. 
I can say that both of my brothers have become better men, better priesthood holders, better brothers, and better servants of the Lord because they have decided to serve missions. They have come to understand a little better the love that our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ has for us. I aspire to understand and love my fellow brothers and sisters better. 
I get to read my brothers emails, and see how much they love their investigators. They speak about them with so much love, and concern. They are more than just a number to them they are people they have come to love, and care about almost like family. 
As I read their emails all I can think about is, "WOW, I am so excited to write my brothers when I leave on my mission and tell them about my investigators." I strongly believe that us serving our missions at the exact same time was no mere accident. Heavenly Father has a plan for my family, and for all of the people we will come into contact with. 
All of the Americas are blessed lands to our Heavenly Father, and it was preordained to receive the restored gospel(2 Nephi 1:4-7). I think that this is being fulfilled in our day more than ever before. One example, is the simple fact that my whole family is being spread across all of the Americas to do the same thing: Teach people about Jesus Christ. Aldo is serving in Washington D.C (North America), Omar is serving in Nicaragua (Central America), and I have been called to serve in Peru (South America). My family will not be together for 3 years, but our sacrifice will never go in vain, because we are sharing the gospel with people. 
I can honestly say that I have never felt any closer to my brothers than I do right now that we are separated by thousands of miles. We are all growing together in our testimonies of our Savior, and Redeemer Jesus Christ. 
I look forward to March 2015 when me and my older brother return home from our missions, and we will be anxiously received by our parents, and our younger brother who will be an RM by then. But, as of right now, I hope that day doesn't come anytime soon.... because I already love my mission, and I haven't even left yet. Most importantly, I have found my first convert: myself. I find myself becoming more, and more converted to the gospel as I prepare to become "Hermana Macías". I have always known of it's truth, but I am becoming more aware of how much I love this gospel. I just want to talk about it all the time, and I have come to realize that I am the happiest when I am sharing my testimony with others. 





Elder Omar Macias in Nicaragua

Elder Aldo Macias in Washington DC South


No comments:

Post a Comment