Thursday, June 20, 2013

Following A Prompting

Now, if there is one characteristic that I want to get better at is following promptings from the Holy Ghost. Don't get me wrong. It is a huge priority of mine to bless others and become an answer to a prayer. I love being used as an instrument in the hands of Heavenly Father to testify of his love for His children. Also, it makes me happy to serve others, and to watch over them. It's my personality to be a nurturer to everyone I meet.
Yesterday at institute we learned about President Thomas S. Monson, and we talked about certain characteristics that are uniquely his. The first one that everyone in the class agreed on was his ability to follow every prompting he receives. The one story we all talked about was one he shared with the church during a past general conference; the name of the talk was called, "Consider the Blessings". The story was about a prompting he received about an old friend he knew that was in a wheel chair. After going out to see him he found him near the edge of a pool. Apparently, this man was contemplating ending his life, and if President Monson wasn't there he might have gone through with it. Now, I am not trying to say that I want to become a lifesaver for everyone I meet. I hardly believe that I have that much of an influence on people. But, it made me think of how many promptings I don't follow through with.
People always come to mind randomly, and I usually am pretty good at contacting them to make sure they're ok. But, there are sometimes I get a prompting and I justify not doing it for many reasons. I think that I don't want to annoy them, or that I don't want to reach out and have them reject what I am doing for them. As I was sitting in class I began to think what happens when I don't follow promptings I get. I got pretty sad actually when the thought came. I didn't want to be the reason why someone's prayer wasn't answered, or their life was not made easier. I made it a goal during class to try to become better at following promptings.
Every missionary I have ever spoken to always tell me that the key to missionary work is obedience, humility and following the Holy Ghost's promptings; that's the miracle combination. I want to be such a great sister missionary. I want to bless others lives by introducing them to the gospel. I want them to know that no matter what happens in life there will always be one constant factor. That factor is our Heavenly Father. He will always be there for us, and He will never leave. I want to bless their lives, and help ease their lives. I do not expect my actions to be lifechanging for people, but I do expect to make people feel like they are not alone. I want to be a friend to all. I have such a deep love for people and I want them to feel my genuine love for them. This love I have for most people I meet is quadrupled for the people of Peru, and I do not even know them. I just want to do everything I can for these people. I want to do everything I can to become the missionary they need me to be. I have had 21 years to prepare for this moment in my life. I have had 21 years of mistakes, 21 years of hardships, 21 years of joy, happiness, and love for the gospel that has prepared me to become Hermana Macias. The only thing I know I will regret prior to entering the MTC is thinking that I could have done better to prepare. I am going to do my best to prepare, and so far I think I am doing pretty good at preparing; mainly because my heart is in Peru. I am going to my mission to follow what Heavenly Father has told me to do. I am also going to Peru to follow my heart. ¡Que viva el pueblo de Perú!

No comments:

Post a Comment